Canvas is a learning management system (LMS). An easier way to put it...it’s a virtual campus. It has classrooms where you take your classes, discussion boards where content and ideas are posted, and a chat where you can send and receive messages. The only thing missing is a cafeteria.
Your course content, including syllabus, assignments, grades, and more, are available
and easy to navigate using the Canvas Mobile App.
How to access Canvas and your classes
Your course content, including syllabus, assignments, grades, and more, are available and easy to navigate using the Canvas Mobile App.
Tips to be successful
Each classroom will be a bit different based on your instructor. Here are a few tips:
- Read your course syllabus carefully.
- Check your EICC email and Canvas inbox regularly as this is the primary way those at the college (including instructors) will contact you.
- Communicate with your instructor to clarify expectations and requirements.
- Plan ahead! If you know you have an event (vacation, etc.) coming up, discuss this early on with your instructor.
- Review the Course Calendar to be aware of deadlines and due dates.
- Set up reminders on your computer or smartphone to keep yourself on track.
- Keep in mind that for every credit hour you are enrolled in, plan on spending two additional hours per week working on assignments and/or studying.
- Work closely with your advisor if you have any concerns.
- Consider tutoring options early.
- Proactive communication is key to your success!
- Participate throughout the learning week and stay involved!
Need Help or Have Questions?
Canvas has 24/7 help you can easily access. In the Global Navigation Bar (located along the left of your screen inside Canvas) the Question Mark icon leads to the Help tab. Here you'll find many options for help including live chatting with a Canvas support person, an 800 number to call the Canvas hotline, a way to search the Canvas Guides, and even a link to ask your instructor a question.
If you experience any issues with EICConnect or your Live Email Account please contact:
For all other questions, please contact your advisor, or use the EICC Student Resource Center.
For the best start to your semester, we suggest logging in and accessing Canvas before your classes start. If there are any problems or issues, we can get them resolved before your semester begins. One thing to note: courses will become available for viewing on the start date of the course. So, if you don't see them right away there's no need to worry.