Credit for Prior Learning

Complete Your Degree Soon

What We’ll Consider for College Credit

Previous Academic Work

Have you taken classes at another college or university? Those credits may transfer.

Non-Credit Training Programs

Make a conference here and a workshop there count toward your degree.

Certifications & Licenses

Your professional achievements are invaluable and can translate into college credit.

Life & Work Portfolio

Hobbies, travel, volunteer work: we can make your life experience into more than just memories.

How Does CPL Work?

Apply for Free

The first step is to apply — for free! — to EICC.

College Credit Transfer

  • Complete the Transfer Credit Evaluation Application if you’ve attended another accredited college or university.
  • We’ll evaluate previous coursework using our Course Development Model.
  • Approved credit will be given a “P” (Pass) grade and applied toward your EICC transcript.

Other Forms of Prior Learning

  • Complete the CPL Application to have prior learning, such as on-the-job training or volunteering, considered for college credit.
  • Advanced Placement Program (AP) was created by the College Board to allow students to earn college credit for completing college-level course work while they attend high school.
  • CLEP is a testing system that provides a way for you to turn your knowledge into college credit.
  • DANTES DSST was originally created for military personnel and is similar to CLEP. However, it is now open to the general public.
  • Provide documentation of your certifications, licenses, and/or training experiences.
  • Complete a Prior Learning Assessment Portfolio, a written document detailing what your life experiences taught you.
  • Meet with Scott Schneider, Dean of Adult Education, to discuss your goals and portfolio.
  • Faculty members will evaluate your application, documentation, and portfolio.
  • Approved CPL will be applied toward your EICC transcript.

Test Your Way Forward

Another way to prove prior learning is to take proficiency tests, including AP and CLEP exams. Successful completion of these exams, which are offered in several subject areas, lets you skip certain classes. Ask Scott Schneider, the Dean of Adult Education, for more information and your options for testing.


Yes. There is a $50.00 fee for the Proficiency Test option (Ex. CSC:110). In addition, if you are awarded credit using any of the three options available to you, there is a $9.00 per credit hour transcript recording fee.

CLEP fee – Please contact an EICC Testing Center.
AP fee – Testing done at High School

No, CLEP and AP fees are nonrefundable.

In your initial interview with the Dean of Adult Education, you can discuss which options are available and works best for you. 

Yes. Your resume is a record of your experience and knowledge gained through employment and education. It should be detailed and up-to-date, and will provide insight into your work history and establish a timeline of when prior learning took place. Your resume should include date ranges for each position held in addition to your job titles, responsibilities, and ranges of time spent attending college or university. Your resume will also help guide you in compiling a Portfolio.

Proficiency tests are comprehensive exams over the course competencies/outcomes. Content experts developed the competencies and the exams. Most of the tests have true/false, multiple choice, short answer, and essay questions. Some disciplines have industry certification examinations that may be a choice for you.

If you want to take a national test, such as CLEP, there is a link ( where you can register and find a testing center near you.

If you are planning to take an EICC examination, you will need to make an appointment at the nearest EICC campus’ testing center. You will need to contact the discipline/program coordinator before you make the appointment to ensure that the test will be available to you.

Contact Us

Scott Schneider, PhD

Scott Schneider, Dean of Adult Education