Quad Cities Summer Transportation Institute
June 10 – June 28, 2019
Monday through Friday
9 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Held at the Scott Community College Urban Campus, 101 West Third Street, Davenport, IA.
The Quad Cities Summer Transportation Institute (QC STI) provides local area high school students with information on the different careers the transportation industry has to offer. It introduces students to the various types of classes and trainings an individual can take to help reach their career goals in the transportation industry.
This four week summer enrichment institute will help you gain knowledge of the different
careers available in transportation. You will learn about the different modes of transportation,
including land, air and water. You will also benefit from enrichment programs in math,
personal development, renewable energy, and much more.
We will have fun and exciting learning opportunities, such as a tour of the Air National Guard and learn about Chinook and Kiowa helicopters and how you can become a pilot or work on helicopters. Spend a day building water powered model cars and then converting them to solar power. We’ll take a boat tour with the Clinton Conservation Club where you will learn about our area’s natural resources.
Lunch is provided on all days with field trips. City bus passes can be provided for transportation to and from the program if needed.
Areas to be covered will include:
- Transportation systems
- Gasoline and diesel engines
- Physics and concepts that are utilized for transporting people and goods
- Technological innovations in renewable energy
- Water transportation with an emphasis on river travel and the lock and dam operations with the Army Corp of Engineers
- Transportation safety
- Travel, conservation and history of the Mississippi river
- Air National Guard tour, learn about Chinook and Kiowa helicopters and how you can become a pilot or work on helicopters
- The enhancement program is geared towards developing lifelong skills such as:
- Time management
- Employability skills
- Students will also participate in sports and team building activities
The college will host a graduation recognition for all of the participants. The students who successfully complete the program will receive a certificate of completion and a $300.00 stipend upon completion of the Transportation Institute.