University of Northern Iowa

The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) is one of the state's three public universities and is located in Cedar Falls, Iowa, approximately 145 miles northwest of the Quad-Cities.

Below are links to information you will find helpful as you consider and plan for transferring to the University of Northern Iowa.

How does an AA Degree from Eastern Iowa Community Colleges transfer to the University of Northern Iowa?

An Associate in Arts degree will transfer and satisfy the Liberal Arts Core for all students in all majors at the University of Northern Iowa. Note that UNI has a specific Non-Western Culture graduation requirement. Contact Academic Advising at your community college for a list of our courses which will fulfill this requirement. Additionally UNI has a foreign language requirement which can be satisfied by completing two semesters of the same foreign language as you pursue your associate's degree.

How does an AS Degree from Clinton, Muscatine or Scott Community College transfer to UNI?

An Associate in Science degree may be a better choice if you plan to pursue a bachelor's degree that requires more science and math courses. The AS degree transfers on a course-by- course basis. This means that UNI will consider each course individually to identify the UNI general education requirements that have been satisfied.

Students pursuing an AS degree therefore need to know exactly how each course will transfer, and how each course will fulfill the general education requirements of their intended major at the UNI. Academic Advising at your community college can assist you with this.

Transfer in Iowa new window

Through Transfer in Iowa you can enter courses you have completed or will complete at your community college, and see how they will transfer to UNI.

Have questions?

If you have not yet registered for classes at one of our colleges, an admissions representative new window will be happy to answer your questions regarding transfer.

If you are a current student, contact your advisor or Academic Advising at your college:

  • Clinton: 563-244-7001
  • Muscatine: 563-288-6001
  • Scott: 563-441-4181

To speak with a UNI Transfer Counselor, contact:

Paul Sapp
The University of Northern Iowa
120 Gilchrist Hall, Cedar Falls, IA 50614

UNI Links