The University of Iowa Transfer Notes

Physics Transfer Major, AS

Students are encouraged to use the following information while planning their associate’s degree at Eastern Iowa Community Colleges. This information is intended to assist students in the transfer process to The University of Iowa to pursue a bachelor’s degree in physics after the completion of the associate’s degree.

  • World Language Requirement- The University of Iowa College of Liberal Arts and Sciences requires students to complete the 4th level of one world language for graduation. Students can fulfill this through 4 years in high school or 4 semesters in college. This is not a transfer requirement, but students are strongly encouraged to complete this while at EICC if not already completed in high school.

  • General Education Requirements- The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (CLAS) has a General Education (GE) Core that must be completed to fulfill graduation requirements for a bachelor’s degree at The University of Iowa. Students should consider planning coursework from the GE CLAS Core lists below to fulfill Communications, Arts and Humanities, Cultural/Historical Perspectives and Social Sciences coursework for the Transfer Major AS degree at EICC.

    • Rhetoric- ENG:105 or 107, ENG:106 or 108, and SPC:112
    • Interpretation of Literature- LIT:101
    • Social Sciences- ECN:120, ECN:130, POL:111, PSY:111, or SOC:110
    • Historical Perspectives- HIS:117, HIS:118, HIS:119, HIS:151, HIS:152, or HIS:211
    • International and Global Issues- GEO:121, GLS:100, or HIS:231
    • Literary, Visual, and Performing Arts- ART:101, DRA:101, DRA:110, HUM:135, HUM:136, HUM:137, LIT:111, LIT:130, LIT:135, LIT:185, or MUS:100
    • Values and Culture- ANT:105, CLS:150, HUM:110, HUM:183, PHI:101, PHI:105, or REL:101

EICC courses approved to meet the GE CLAS Core and other course equivalencies can be found using The University of Iowa’s Course Equivalency Guide.

  • Teacher Licensure- To qualify for licensure in secondary teaching, students in the Teacher Education Program (TEP) complete a degree in education as well as a related College of Liberal Arts and Sciences degree. See Teacher Education Program Application and Admission on the College of Education website for details on requirements and deadlines for applying to the College of Education and about TEP choices of majors leading to licensure.

  • Additional resources can also be found on the EICC University of Iowa Transfer Page.

The transfer of a Transfer Major, AS degree to a four-year college or university is often on a course-by-course articulation. EICC strongly recommends you contact your intended transfer institution for specific transfer information and course recommendations. Transfer Partners ultimately determine the transferability of courses and how they will apply toward bachelor degree progress. Completion of a Transfer Major, AS degree does not guarantee admission to a Transfer Partner. Transfer admission requirements are determined by Transfer Partners. EICC strongly recommends you contact your intended transfer institution for information about admission requirements.