Quad Cities Summer Transportation Institute
The Quad Cities Summer Transportation Institute (QC STI) provides local area high school students with information on the different careers the transportation industry has to offer. It introduces students to the various types of classes and trainings an individual can take to help reach their career goals in the transportation industry.
The institute covers the different modes of transportation, including land, air and water. An emphasis is placed on the safety aspect of all the different modes of transportation. Students are provided with an enhancement program to develop and improve their academic skills.
Areas to be covered will include:
- Transportation systems
- Gasoline and diesel engines
- Physics and concepts that are utilized for transporting people and goods
- Technological innovations in renewable energy
- Water transportation with an emphasis on river travel and the lock and dam operations with the Army Corp of Engineers
- Transportation safety
- Travel, conservation and history of the Mississippi river
- Air transportation will include a tour of an airport, air traffic control operations, Elliot Aviation and the flight experience with the Young Eagles of the Quad Cities
- The enhancement program is geared towards developing lifelong skills such as:
- Time management
- Employability skills
- Students will also participate in sports and teambuilding activities
This is a four-week program during the summer of 2013. The tentative date for the institute will be from June 4th 2013 until June 28th 2013.
The college will host a graduation recognition for all of the participants. The students who successfully complete the program will receive a certificate of completion and a $200.00 stipend upon completion of the Transportation Institute.