EICC's 50th Anniversary
Eastern Iowa Community Colleges (EICC) is proud to celebrate its 50th Anniversary as the community’s college.
EICC and other community colleges across Iowa were established by an act of the state legislature in 1965. Locally, EICC was formed from the merging of the already existing Clinton and Muscatine Junior Colleges and the Davenport Community School District's career technology programs.
Clinton Junior College, now Clinton Community College, began in 1946 with a class that was half comprised of World War II veterans. Muscatine Junior College, now Muscatine Community College, came even earlier, in 1929 with six faculty and just 51 students.
The Davenport schools career classes became Scott Community College. The college expanded into a comprehensive community college in 1979 with the acquisition
of Palmer College of Chiropractic’s junior college program.
Today, more than 10,000 college credit students enroll in EICC classes each year, making it the sixth largest college of any kind in the state of Iowa. The college consists of Clinton, Muscatine and Scott Community College with more than a dozen satellite locations spread across its geographic region.
Slightly more than half of those students complete the first two years of their college education before transferring to a four-year institution to complete a bachelor’s degree or higher. The others receive career training leading directly into the job market in one of more than 30 programs in such areas as information technology, health and advanced manufacturing.
EICC further serves its community with more than 30,000 students annually completing employee training, and adult and continuing education classes. All told, roughly 15 percent of the people living in EICC’s service area attend classes at the college each and every year.
See all of Iowa's Community Colleges 50th Anniversary videos